Thursday, October 5, 2017

Purple hair, AGAIN!?

Howdy!
I'm back again for another post about my hair. I know, it never gets old. *hehe*




















If you read my last post, this post will make a lot more sense to you. The photos shown here are after all of one wash with the Pulp Riot Purple Velvet hair dye over my faded, but pre-lightened hair. I didn't expect fantastic results, especially for coverage - simply because I only had a small bit of dye left, and this stuff sucks. Soo... I wasn't horribly worried about it, it was just something to hold me over until my Pravana arrived. If you can't guess, it arrived, hence the post. Anyways, since I'm rambling... The photos here sort of give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I say that it faded to a weird plum-orange color. You can see it in the under layers and towards the back of my head as I only mostly did the front and the top because that is the most noticeable part. These photos have not had any editing to them, this is just indirect sunlight outside in my carport. But as I am impatient, as soon as my new dye arrived I dived right in.





















I decided to make a video of the process, because I honestly thought it would be easier than trying to take pictures with dye-covered hands. The original video ended up being about 20 minutes long, which is way to long, IMO, so I sped it up a bit and cut out the sound so there is no weird high-pitch background noise. I do not talk in the video either, because I figured it would be easier to type everything out and better explain it that way - especially if you were to try to do something like this at home, you can screen-shot the text versus trying to re-watch the video 12 times so you can get it just right.
Prepare yourself to laugh at all of my ridiculous faces I make. I'll try to explain this as best as I can beneath the video. I had to upload it via YouTube, because even though it's compressed down to all of 6 minutes the file size is apparently still too large for Blogspot. Pravana also smells really good so you'll notice me sniff it. HAHA!


I start off by putting both of the dyes together in the same bowl, but apart from each other so they are not touching or mixing. I moved to a middle section in my hair and clipped the rest of the hair on the top out of the way. I started with the Wild Orchid color against my roots, and brushed it to the ends of that section. The section beneath that I used the Violet from roots to ends, I continued this pattern until there was no hair remaining on the side of my head. The sections towards the top of my head I alternated between having the Wild Orchid on my roots and Violet on my ends, to Violet on my roots and Wild Orchid on my ends. The reason I did it this was so that when the hair all lays together it has "natural" highlights. The one nice thing about using a dye like Pravana is there is no mix-ins with developer or anything like that. It is a stain that you apply directly to your hair. You could add conditioner if you wanted to lighten the color, but I have found that it makes it last about 1/3 as long as it normally would.
When I make my way to the back of my head, since the hair is shorter around the bottom I used the Violet (main color) along the bottom and sides, and mixed the Wild Orchid throughout then I mixed the dye that was left in the bowl and rubbed it in all over. I applied it to the shaved side of my head too, with what was left on my gloves and my brush, but I honestly doubt it will have any lasting affect because the hair is so short. It more or less just stained my scalp, but it sure looks cool. When applying this stuff you need to be EXTRA careful to avoid your skin, or cover yourself in some sort of oil or Vaseline because since it is a stain, it will literally stain EVERYTHING.. including my bathroom sink, I don't know if you can see the part when I drip some.




















 Here is my hand with and without flash, this is just from rinsing in WARM water. You would think after all these years I would get smart and wear a glove when I rinse, but that's a lot of work because then you get water in your glove and that's just gross.

I made another video of me drying my hair, just so you can sort of see the variation of color, and then a video of it all completely dry. I will take more pictures and possibly a video after my first wash so you can see how the color lasts. But prepare for more silly faces. Again, this video has no sound, just so that you didn't have to listen to the blow-dryer wailing, so don't bother turning your speakers up. Hah!


When I flip my hair around you can see I pause for a brief second to show you where some of the Wild Orchid color is showing through. The Violet always goes on REALLY dark, but after the first wash it gets really vibrant. I rinsed it until the water was mostly clear, as the instructions state, but even with my hair as short as it is I'm sure there is still a whole bunch in there, not to mention this stuff just rubs off and stains everything like crazy anyways. The one major downside to Pravana versus Pulp Riot, the Pulp Riot did not bleed or stain anything after application.



 As I mentioned before the shaved portion will probably not remain purple after the first wash, which is fine, and all of the extra dye and staining on my neck will wash away too. The one thing I do hate about washing the first time is it literally stains my whole back purple, and any runoff I get on my face I will have purple streaks down my face. Luckily I have found that both makeup remover wipes and baby wipes work to remove it, with a bit of light scrubbing. I pause briefly to show you my fingers as well because you can see on my right hand, which is the clean one, that my finger tips turn purple from rubbing them against my roots. In case you missed it, here is an ADORABLE photo of it.
 

Anyways, that's it for now. Stay tuned for upcoming posts as I show you how the color washes and eventually fades. I'll talk about upkeep with dye as well as shaving my head, because I shave about once a week. Dye should hopefully remain about 6 weeks or so, but we'll see.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to drop them in the box below!
XOXO
Christina


No comments:

Post a Comment