Saturday, August 19, 2017

Make Purses to Match Your Dresses!

You may have noticed I've been a tad quiet lately. It's not that I have nothing to say--I have plenty. It's not that I haven't worn any cute outfits lately--I have; check out our Facebook page. It's just after work I've been busy crafting! I've been making pin-up style purses! Sometimes I make them to match specific outfits!

This one is for sale. It's at Studio E.




But anyway, all you need is a plastic canvas purse form. I buy mine in bulk, but you can find them in lesser quantities by Googling it. Yarn. A needle. And imagination. Can't buy that, sorry! But you can search for patterns via Google or Pinterest or buy some on Etsy.

There are tutorials online. The first time I made one, I used this tutorial.

I've made quite a few since then and now do my own things:

First of all, I use patterned duck tape for my liner now. It's more flexible, sticks perfectly, and I can sew through it as I stitch the sides of the clutch together. And no lumpy glue underneath. Plus it's super cute!

Second, magnetic clasps don't seem to do well for me; the magnets are always stronger than the canvas and I've had tearing issues. Now I simply use a yarn loop-around close. I sew a vintage mushroom button on the bottom (see the flamingo and nauticlal purse) and the clutch closes by yarn hanging from the top, secured with a regular button on the inside.

This one is mine!! It matches a skirt and top I plan to wear very soon! 




Do you see those cool duck tapes???? Aren't they adorable?

My next step: Adding a handle. We'll see how it turns out!

Here is one I made before I discovered duck tape. This one is for sale in Studio E. Go check it out!




2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Tara to use duck tape and the button closure. Thanks for sharing. What are you charging for a clutch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 20 dollars. Once I start adding handles--if the experiment is successful--they will be 25.

      Delete